Saturday, November 03, 2007

haircuts,bad service, and groceries

Philip and I woke up early this morning to get a head start on our Saturday activities. We went to Gabby's Barber shop to get our haircut. We walked in to a full waiting room and a long list of about 20 names before us. When you walk in, you have to write your name on the chalkboard and if you want write the name of the barber that you want to cut your hair. Philip always requests the same barber every time, while I just take whomever is first available. So, instead of waiting in the room the entire time we went for a walk down Clark. On our southbound journey as we came out of Hanig's shoe store a dog was running down the sidewalk and right into the street. Her owner was following behind with two other dogs on leashes. The running dog kept going in and out of the street in front and behind cars. After many failed attempts to get her dog back, a stranger volunteered to hold the two other dogs on leashes as the owner chased after the run-away. I was so nervous that something bad was going to happen that I had to walk away so as to not witness anything.

On our way back to the Barber Shop, we stopped at Baladoche to get some coffee. On our last visit to Baladoche we were overwhelmed by the happy manager and upbeat customer service. This time, the happy manager was not there and the two girls working in the place were AWFUL. We waited about 5 minutes while they slowly shook sugar on other people's waffles before one of them even acknowledged us. When she finally did, I ordered our two coffees and paid for them. Then we waited a few more minutes while she forgot to get our coffee and then she came back and asked if she could help us. I was like" I already paid for two coffees" and then she magically remembered and got us our drinks. I wasn't so much mad as I was sad thinking about these poor people who think that they are doing a good job.

Anyway, so we made it back to Gabby's, got our haircuts and then bought yummy groceries at Trader Joes.

1 comment:

Christa & Scott said...

I feel so cool and hip because we have a Trader Joe's here in Tucson, too, and I've also grocery shopped there. I'm almost as cool as my cousin... but not quite. BTW, did you hear Angela is doing her ASL internship in Chicago?! Lucky.