Sunday, August 07, 2005

Bodyworlds

Yesterday, Philip and I trekked to the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park. After over and hour on the CTA we arrived at the museum. As we entered this new world I couldn't help but notice all the tourists among us. Then it hit me: Why in the world am I going to a museum on a Saturday in the middle of summer. I suddenly began to stress out inside and become annoyed at the out-of towners. We keep walking to get to the ticket line and then as it comes into view, BAM... wtf? the line is immensely huge. I mean like a major security line in the airport where everyone is receivng the wand treatment. Annoyance hits me again. Thirty minutes later halfway through the line an announcement is broadcasted, "welcome to the Museum of Science and Industry. The next entrance to the Body Worlds exhibit is at 4:15" R u kidding me? It is only 12:45 at the moment and I have to wait till when? Grrr.. I look around at the hundreds of tourists and annoyance hits me once again. Why am I at this museum on a Saturday? Ok, so after some stressing out which Philip helped calm down, we decided on spending the majority of our day at the museum and then seeing the Body World exhibit at 4:15. After an overpriced lunch, much walking, watching baby chicks hatch, taking a flight, going through a toy factory, and seeing preserved fetuses 4:15 arrives. We get into line for Body Worlds for about 15 minutes and then we think we are in, but it is only another line. 15 minutes later we get in. The exhibit is made up of over 200 bodies or parts of bodies that have been plastinized at different stages in order to show their parts. It's basically like looking at the inside of dead hardened humans, without all the nasty juices and stuff. In some sense, it is incredible art. Here is one picture below. You can also check it out at http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp It is quite the experience!

No comments: