Tuesday, June 12, 2007

no a.c.

Imagine this... standing at the North & Clybourn Red Line station at 5:20 pm waiting for the Howard Train. So, it's always packed at rush hour... that's a given... so when the train pulled up with people literally smashed to the windows, I felt nothing. I secretly pride myself in being urban by ALWAYS attempting to get on a full train unless, there's no way at all, while others who are afraid often dwindle and wait for another train. I waited for another train on two occasions that I can remember and will never do it again. The madness that runs through your blood while waiting and the explosion that occurs when the second train pulls up just as full as the first is not worth it.
So, a bunch of people exit the last car, the one I always get on, and I'm hopeful about not being squashed too tightly, then as I enter the car, I'm immersed into an entire new environment...about 15 degrees warmer, stale still air. My horror is topped when more people who I must not have seen on the platform get on my car and create a tight environment. As the car treks slowly through the tunnel trying to emerge into the outside world, I must have become panicked inside, because I felt as if I could not breathe. I take long slow breaths of hot humid air with no satisfaction for my lungs waiting hoping for Fullerton and open doors. At every stop as the doors open it feels like an air conditioner is turned on. The only greater feeling is the look of disgust on other peoples' faces as they enter the sweltering car and thoughts of how much worse they feel than I because I've finally acclimated. The first of many trains with faulty air conditioners to come, no doubt!

1 comment:

philidendron said...

oh dear. reminds me of: http://philidendron.blogspot.com/2006/08/hells-existence-or-non-existence-is.html