Sunday, February 04, 2007

Airbus 380 or Boeing 787?

Two of the newest models of airplanes, one by each competing company, both magnificent in their own ways, yet both so different. Which is better? Which do you prefer. I have always been obsessed with airline models since I can remember my first flight on Tan Sasha and/or TACA airlines. I do not remember which was first. Back then, the stewardess (as they were called) brought me real warm face towels after the somewhat tasty lunch entree. No, this was not a 6, 7,12 hour Transatlantic or Pacific flight, but solely a 2 hour flight from Belize City to Miami or Houston. Tan Sasha no longer serves passengers and hasn't for sometime. I think groupo TACA bought them out years ago. Anyway... since then airplanes have got bigger and better. I have never been on a 747-200 or 747-200. My largest flight has been the Boeing 777, which I love dearly, mainly because of the comfortability and two side seats that allow myself and travelling partner privacy from strangers.
The Airbus 380 which is currently in production is the largest passenger built to date... so large that airports are required to accomodate the length and width of their runways to land her. It has a wingspan of 261.8 feet (79.8 meters), a length of 239.5 feet (73 meters) and a maximum take-off weight of more than 1.2 million pounds (540,000 kg).


The A380's two passenger decks could be outfitted in a single-class configuration to take on up to 840 passengers. However, Airbus isn't focusing on that option, instead designing a three-class configuration for 555 passengers. That's still a marked increase over the 416 passengers that can fit into a Boeing 747-400, the current leader in passenger capacity.1





On the other side of the world, Boeing is focusing on the 787 Dreamliner, a super efficient airplane, which "will carry 210 - 250 passengers on routes of 7,650 to 8,200 nautical miles (14,200 to 15,200 kilometers), while the 787-9 Dreamliner will carry 250 - 290 passengers on routes of 8,000 to 8,500 nautical miles (14,800 to 15,750 km). A third 787 family member, the 787-3 Dreamliner, will accommodate 290 - 330 passengers and be optimized for routes of 2,500 to 3,050 nautical miles (4,600 to 5,650 km). In addition to bringing big-jet ranges to mid-size airplanes, the 787 will provide airlines with unmatched fuel efficiency, resulting in exceptional environmental performance. The airplane will use 20 percent less fuel for comparable missions than today's similarly sized airplane. It will also travel at speeds similar to today's fastest wide bodies, Mach 0.85. Airlines will enjoy more cargo revenue capacity.
Passengers will also see improvements with the new airplane, from an interior environment with higher humidity to increased comfort and convenience.2






So, I think that both are amazing and I would love to fly on either however I do have a thing for big planes with lots of seats so I think the Airbus 380 would be my first choice if I had a choice between both of them. But one time on that plane may be enough, because I cannot imagine how long it would take to board and deplane at the airport. The Boeing 787 sounds like it would be amazing on any long flight because of the seat sizes and spaciousness. So, I guess I'm in love with both of them just a little.

1 comment:

Information Junkie said...

Boeing is pushing Air India 787 in local newspapers. Building awareness is part of a campaign to gain large share of booming India/China market.