Sunday, February 25, 2007

and so it is

I ride the CTA Red Line almost every day and while it is far from perfect, I am very gracious that our city has a somewhat well defined train system to get me to and from my daily destinations... in certain directions of course.

Last night my train ride was incredibly interesting and abnormal. It started as I entered the train station at North and Clybourn and a foul odor overcame me, one that immediately made me think of a dead "Charlie Price" (Huge rat the size of a cat) in an alley in Belize City, but much worse... more like hundred of dead rotting rats. The smell was so strong, I thought that I might not be able to hold my stomach down. I thought I heard a train so, I hurried down the stairs through the wretched odor and then it cleared towards the bottom as I arrived with no train in sight. I sat and waited and waited a little more then that familiar sound down the tunnel began, the one that gets me excited because I know that I will not be trapped underground for too much longer.

I got on the last car as I always do and scored a forward facing seat. As we emerged from the tunnel into the pelting sleet and snow the train began to jerk slowly as if ice was on the tracks, and the entire stretch to Fullerton was like a fireworks show as the 3rd rail sparked continuously. "This is Fullerton" screamed across the PA system, then in the loudest obnoxious screaming voice ever over the PA system the operator said, "Brown Line Train, there is a Brown Line Train on the second track" and repeat. Some people stood waiting at the doors to get out including the German tourists who were sitting behind me. "Doors Closing" came across the PA... WTF? The doors hadn't opened yet. I thought it was just another accidentally pressed button... Someone pulled on the red knob to open doors in an emergency, but it didn't work... and the train began to move. Sheer Panic came across the faces of many people. Were we trapped on a smelly train, were the doors frozen shut? someone suggested. The lights went out, then back on... and then from the very back of our car a woman screamed aloud as if demons were invading her body. EVERYONE from that side immediately went to the other side of the train.. waiting and wondering if the doors would open at Belmont. We arrived at Belmont... and they did after a second of fear.

Just another day on the CTA.

No comments: