Thursday, January 07, 2010

snow, fudge, amish

I am currently sitting in a recliner in Ohio while visiting family. Today is supposed to be a day of relaxation before I head back to Chicago tomorrow. However, I constantly find that I cannot be completely relaxed for several reasons. One of them is the impending snow storm that I will have to drive through tomorrow. It just started snowing here and is supposed to be throughout the entire day today and most of tomorrow. I love snow, but seriously!

We are supposed to go out to lunch soon. I hear rumors that Wendy's is the first choice.

My mom bought sweetened condensed milk a while back to make Belizean Fudge, but didnt get around to it, so this morning I rrose to the sweet occasion. Turns out we didn't have sugar, so I had to go to the store across the street, "Town and Country". I spent many summers running in and out of that store renting videos and buying ice cream, but I completely forgot how country it really is. The sugar was twice the price it should have been and was rock hard and the check out screens (the most modern technology in the store) had flashing images of quilting books that you could buy from their quilting part of the store. Anyway, fudge making begins. 4 cans of sweetened condensed milk, 4 cups of sugar, 4 Tbs of butter and 45 minutes of stirring over a hot stove. Sounds easy, right? Well, turns out that it was supposed to be 2 cups of sugar and I forgot to mix the vanilla in towards the end. Oops! It is still deliciously edible, but you might need to drink a glass of water when you eat it to balance the sugar level.

There are lots of Amish around here and there is a wonderful little Amish store out in the country where you can buy bulk goods, meat, and cheese. I went this morning with my cousin and as always was thoroughly excited. As we were walking the aisles and I was beginning to fill my basket I asked, "They take credit cards, right?" and my cousin looked at me with an astonished face and said, "no". Luckily my mom had sent $11 dollars with me to get her something which I didn't get for her and used for myself. Some Swiss cheese, sweet bologna, and trail bologna. I think my outfit was a bit too worldly for the female Amish cashier as I noticed she kept looking at my shirt and scarf.
Interesting side note: On Facebook, you can choose Amish as your religion, so all you Amish using computers and the Internet.. there you go.

4 comments:

Allison said...

OMG ! Finally. I have never been so happy that you blogged. Please keep blogging because you are so hilarious!

Unknown said...

You POSTED! Hip, hip, hooray!

Christa & Scott said...

Welcome back! I may have to bookmark your blog again... unless this is a false alarm. Is it? Oh, and I loved your post because I knew ALL you were talking about... and it made me feel cool. ha. :) Keep blogging!

megan R said...

i've kept the bookmark. just stopped checking it. but the amish woman scoping your worldly outfit will keep me coming back for more!